Wednesday, August 28, 2019

#RPGaDay2019 Week 4



As I sit down to write this last installment of #RPGaDay2019 I’m dreading the completion of this exercise. For some reason unknown to me I find myself unmotivated to finish it. I feel like its wearing thin on me. While doing weekly installments has been much better than daily it still feels hard to complete. I shall persevere.

22. Lost- Perhaps this one is better suited to lost in translation. There have been many times while playing games or even conveying information via text that the meaning of my intentions get lost along the way. During a game I interpret this as my lack of clue giving or lack of properly describing the situation to the players. Online while responding to posts on social media its quite easy for your intent to be misconstrued the wrong way. This is just something that happens and you have to accept it.

23. Surprise- In game terms there is usually a mechanic to “Surprise” the characters but what about surprising the players? I can recall only one time I was surprised as a player and that was because I totally wasn’t expecting a giant monster to come out of the water into the cultist lair. It’s very hard to surprise players nowadays. We’re all gamers and like to read so we all read the monster manuals. If I throw an Aboleth at a group, chances are high that someone will know how to fight it. I’m going to take a different approach with these types of things for my DCC Lankhmar game coming up soon. I’m hoping I’ll at least creep out a player or two.

24. Triumph- Defeating a mighty evil against all odds while the numbers are in the favor of your enemy. I can’t think of a time in a game where I felt truly triumphant. Savage Worlds is more of a cinematic game in my eyes which kind of takes away the triumphant victories. In Call of Cthulhu, just surviving is considered a victory so being triumphant would have a different meaning I suppose. I think in order to get that triumphant victory feeling it needs to happen over the course of a long campaign. One in which the characters are slowly achieving the overall goals to face the big bad guy with setbacks at every step of the way. They have to feel like the objective is hopeless yet achievable.

25. Calamity- Oh boy! I’ve been in many, many, many games where calamity ensued. The one that sticks out most in my mind is the encounter in my Irongate game. It’s the second session in a short campaign and the characters come across an encampment. The scene is an old RV camper off to one side with cages on another. Near the middle of the camp a woman is chained to the ground while someone is sawing off her forearm. The players don’t quite know it yet but these cannibals are the Fratelli family. One of the characters decides to go have a chat with these fine people while the other 3 sit back and watch what’s going on. Well, one of the 3 weren’t so sneaky and Sloth was sent to check it out. Someone attacked Sloth and the one talking to the cannibals tried to yank a shotgun away from Mama. Let’s just say that one character died, one got captured, and the other 2 limped away to safety. I wish I could have recorded that scene. It was a real fun one. Well, for me anyway. Hehehe.

26. Idea- They come from all over the place for me but mostly movies and books. I have shelves full of books that I might never play but I mine the information to use in other games. I’ve had a few good ideas from podcasts like Finding the Narrative, a podcast about FFG’s Genesys system (its their Star Wars game with the Star Wars ripped out). Tony, Chris, and Stephen are very knowledgeable on the game.

27. Suspense- Now this is a good one. How do you create suspense in a game? The easiest way is to end the session on a cliff hanger (no token needed). My buddy Eric just did it to us a couple of weeks ago. We were sitting in a local watering hole and after we gathered the needed information we’re relaxing when some German soldiers enter. Of course, the only one of us that speaks German decides this is a good time to go to the washroom. The Germans are coming towards us and as I grip my Colt 1911 Eric ends the session.

28. Love- I’m not a fan of toying with this emotion in rpg’s. It usually just feels weird and other times it’s a cheap way to force characters into action. Using the characters loved ones to force them into performing acts is an old cliché. It shows lack of imagination of the part of the GM. If the characters loved one is an active part of the story then it could be okay to an extent but should be avoided.

29. Evolve- Some people say that games need to evolve but I disagree. It’s the people who don’t like the game as it is that say this. I’m sorry but if you feel that way then you need to find a different game. Many people like the game the way it is and don’t need it to evolve into something completely different. I also feel like publishers do this just to make more sales. Look at D&D for example. No one can agree on which edition is best. A lot of people love 5e and hate 4e. Some people liked 4e but the game evolved because there was an overwhelming number of people who disliked it. Now 5e is out and they still haven’t produced any new content. All they’ve done is convert old products to the latest edition and people are clamoring for more.

30. Connection- Isn’t this what the hobby is about? Connecting with people around a table to have a good time. Sometimes those connections get stronger as time goes on and other times they weaken. What about connecting with your character. I’ve not experienced this but some view their character as an extension of themselves and they grow connected to it. It’s just a game folks. You should play some OSR type games where a character often dies and you show up with 3 backup characters.

31. Last- A fitting end to the challenge. The last thing I want to do is let people down. Scheduling an online game is hard enough but cancelling at the last minute always disappoints me. I will always try to let others know if I can’t make a game at least a few days in advance so it irritates the heck out of me when others can’t do the same. Sometimes these games are dependent on everyone showing up while other times it makes no difference if a player can’t show up. There have been stretches of time when I was only gaming once a month and when the GM cancelled at the last minute I was really pissed off. So please try not to let other people down.


P.S. There are a lot of people over at the Nerds-International community that put out great content and it wouldn’t have been possible without Jaime Pierson. The Brewery is his show where he does wargames, rpg’s, and reviews. Go check out his Youtube channel.


No comments:

Post a Comment